Monday, June 30, 2008

Paris metro art nouveau project: Glue Collograph
























Starting in 1900 in Paris, entrances to subway stations were designed in art nouveau style by Hector Guimardas part of the Fulgence Bienvenüe project. Eighty-six of his entrances are still in existence and I think they're beautiful.

I made this collograph using matboard and glue, constructing all of the lines from glue, and after they dried, rolling and daubbing ink on the plate and printing it on an etching press.

I've posted process photos, showing the steps I took to make this, on my Flickr page.


Below are two photographs showing other subway entrances that were part of the project. For more information, see Wikipedia.



















Photo attributions:
Left: Tom Fletcher
Right: Michael Reeve

No comments: